Sunday, January 9, 2011

Math Differentiation!

I know what you are thinking..."yea, yea, this is a topic teachers are told about all the time." That is in fact, true. We can't be effective teachers without differentiating instruction! So naturally, I am always thinking of ways to meet all of my students' needs, which is no easy feat.

This year I teach my EveryDayMath lessons in a brand new way! Since EveryDayMath is built on the principal that we learn on a spiral (which we really do!!!), some lessons are meant to be introductory lessons. In other words, the same lesson will appear the next year and possibly the year after. The thought is, the more a child is exposed to a concept, the easier he or she will master it. (It's true, it's true!)

In order to make the most out of my lessons and to reach all learners, I teach EDM in rotations. I teach the lesson 3 times (I have 3 groups.) Each group gets what they need, so my lesson might differ from group to group. While I am teaching the main lesson, the other two groups are doing either math boxes, a review, or are on the computers.

The kids LOVE it. 

No one is being left behind. 

They are all getting teacher attention. 

They enjoy working in small groups. 

Below is a video I shot of a few students in one of my small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment