Saturday, September 17, 2011

Responsiveness

Is that even a word? Oh well. I am all about the Responsive Classroom this year. I have always been an "affective teacher," as you probably know if you follow my blog. This year, I am learning even more about the components of a Responsive Classroom.

A Responsive Classroom:
1. Values each individual in the classroom. That means teachers, staff members, and students.
2. Has Morning Meeting every day.
3. Uses language such as: " I notice that half of the students are making a smooth transition. I'm waiting for the other half," as to not single anyone out.
4. Takes the time to build the classroom community.
5. Has class meetings when needed.
6. Is built around mutual respect.

Having a Responsive Classroom is not as simple as reading the book and doing the activities. It takes passion, desire, and time. It may not be perfect right away. It may never be perfect. But, with that passion, desire, and time, I can guarantee you will be pretty impressed by the results.

This year, I am continuing to incorporate Character Education Lessons into my Responsive Classroom. The combination of the two is essential to create my close-to-ideal classroom.

Take a brief look at the greeting portion of my Morning Meeting. My kids love it!

1 comment: