Saturday, November 14, 2009

Benefits of this Blog

After blogging for several weeks, I have decided to continue posting my thoughts and ideas about technology integration, curriculum and teaching. I think we all have a lot of offer each other so I am hoping my blog posts will offer other educators resources and/or ideas.

In the meantime, I am very excited about a new project we (my grade level partner and I) are doing with our third grade classes. We are currently working on our Native American Unit. Yesterday, we watched short video clips about the various Native American houses and brainstormed materials we could use to make model houses. Then, we split the students into groups, and using this hotlist, they came up with more materials. Next week, they will be planning and creating one of the houses. I am so excited to see how this turns out, and I know the kids are too!

8 comments:

  1. Kate,
    I think you have a really good project which incorporates both the traditional and the digital. Do you get in trouble if you call them "indians"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For so many years they were referred to as Indians. We know now that they were called that because Christopher Columbus thought he was in India when in fact he was in America. So, we encourage the students to call them Native Americans because they are native to America. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know how their projects come out? Are you going to post some pictures? I love hands-on activites for children. I think they learn best from these activitites. Your class is lucky!!!

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne,
    I will definitely post pictures! Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Kate. I also liked one of your other ideas about doing a poster on line. A lot of my clients are very artistic. This might be a great idea for them. Maybe when I do WWI they can do a poster on buying war bonds. Thanks for the good ideas. John Polefka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    I am excited you will continue to post to your blog. I have you on my bloglines and always am interested in the sites you post/the technology integration information you share. This blog keeps me connected to the instruction in third grade especially for science/social studies & math.

    Food for thought...I think keeping this blog active could be an important component to your electronic portfolio and toward your aspirations for being a techology leader in our district.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. This project really brings the students into the learning process. I really hope that you post some pictures.

    THanks,
    Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate -

    Earlier, in my “feedback” to your project, I wrote that I hope you keep your Blog going beyond the end of our ETLO course, and that perhaps you could post examples of your students’ Pilgrim work. I’m glad to see that you’ve decided to stay active with this. You clearly have a lot to offer; I look forward to learning more as I stick with your RSS feed. Thanks!

    - Tim

    ReplyDelete