Sunday, November 8, 2009

Podcasts and Vodcasts!

It's so important for teachers to reach all students--visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners. When I was in school, most learning was done through the teacher talking and the students listening. Boy, things are SO different now. (Thank goodness!)

Vodcasts (video + audio) are wonderful because it engages the visual and auditory learners. Here are some sites I use:
Discovery Streaming
Game Quarium/Sqool Tube
Math: links learning
Neo K-12

Here are some vodcasts that I was shown that middle and high school teachers could use:
Telling Their Stories
This I Believe

What I think is amazing is how well 3rd graders can create their own movies/vodcasts. Just last Friday, my students finished I-Movies demonstrating their understanding of a vocabulary word. They will share it with each other, staff, and parents through Voicethread, another awesome collaborative tool.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to be a third grader in your class. I agree that Voicethread is a great collaborative tool. It is fairly easy to create a Voicethread and even easier to comment on one.

    It's nice to see that you are encouraging the creativity in your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate -

    Your last paragraph served as a useful reminder for me to keep in mind that -- even if I don't find a lot of useful material in the form of pods and vods that I believe warrant using class time to share with students -- there is certainly a lot to be said for having students demonstrate their thinking and learning by (collaboratively) creating pods and vods. Thanks!

    - Tim

    P.S. - Typically I try to draft my replies in MS-Word before posting them on-line, but apparently one cannot copy and paste into the Blogspot "Comment" window. Do you know if this is in fact the case, or is there some way to accomplish this that I'm overlooking?

    ReplyDelete